Monday, April 09, 2007

Treading water

Fri - sick - rest
Sun - 160 mins, 32k's @ about 5:05 mins/km

Well, as I flagged on Thursday, I ended up pulling out of the Easter Egg 10k Race. I felt terrible on Thursday night and there was little improvement on Friday morning. Either, I still hadn't shaken my cold or more likely, I had picked up another one. Once Pat reiterated to me that a race should be an all or nothing affair, it wasn't a hard decision to pull out. I contemplated a very easy 90 mins to replace missing the race, but decided to rest up for Sunday's long run. I'm already behind on my prep for the Brisbane Half and can ill afford to miss a critical long run.

Sunday dawned and once I had overcome a number of obstacles (a 20 min sleep in, spilt porridge, a flat battery on my Timex Ironman watch, an itchy singlet and taping my left plantar fasciitis too tight) I was on my way. I did a anti-clockwise Green Bridge loop, stopping for a quick chat with Tess at the Regatta. Once that was out of the way, I settled into a fair rhythm, running much faster than my dawdle last week, but still slower than my usual relaxed pace. Stopped at the car after the loop and ate a handful of lollies for energy, before finishing off with a 40 min loop out to the Riverwalk running at a nice pace and hoping like hell that I could get through the run without a GU. Very happy to report that I didn't need a GU and have pulled up well so far. I feel like I've been treading water for the last two weeks without gaining speed or fitness so hopefully I can can put together a decent two weeks leading into the Brisbane Half so I can put in a half decent effort in that race.

MJ and I started a 10 day detox today. Frankly, it'll be a pain in the arse, having to buy more expensive food and to spend more time preparing meals but if last years detox is any indication, my health will benefit for 6-9 months afterward. Its a pretty basic detox - no wheat, dairy, sugar, alcohol, salt and try to avoid preservatives. Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Wow, that's some detox. I think you're very brave doing it so close to the Brissie Half. If I were you I'd be using the race as an excuse not to detox :)

So what exactly will you be eating for each meal? Meat, fruit, veges ... what else is left?