Sunday, July 09, 2006

Brisbane Road Runners 14k

Fri - 10k's @ 5:00 mins/km
Sun - 23k's @ about 4:50 mins/km


After an easy and discomfort free recovery run on Friday, I continued my efforts to shake off my nagging PF problem in the left foot. Fortunately, Bruno is only a few hundred metres from my place so I ducked into see him between appt's and he assessed my problem as a tight tendon and recommended four minutes of self massage or icing twice per day to go with some stretching. I've also had a good chat with Ally and borrowed her Strassburg sock to sleep in. http://www.thesock.com/

With no speedwork at Pat's this week, I was free to do a Sunday Long Run for my weekly non treadmill run this morning! Gees - only someone who has spent several months running on a treadmill can appreciate how much better it is to run in the great outdoors. Anyway, I went to West End and with my running mate for the morning, Langy nowhere to be seen, I renewed my BRRC membership and entered the 14k race. Still no sign of Langy when Race Director Robbie Lofthouse sent the field on its way. Normally, I would use an event like this to practice my pacing, but my brain was in neutral and I was busy thinking of a practical joke I could play on Langy for standing me up this morning. So I rolled along clocking a range of splits between 4:33 and 5:05 in very cool, but beautiful conditions. Its always a bit funny doing an easy run whilst others around you race the event. Its very easy to get carried away and find yourself trying to reel in the person in front of you! The PF behaved itself and I finished the 14k and then after a quick chat with the ladies winner, Tesso(you indestructible thing!) I did another 7k loop followed by a 2k out and back to wrap up the proceedings for the morning.

Hit the pool for 20 minutes cold water recovery upon arrival at home(I try to do approximately 1 min in pool per k run). This morning, I did this standing on the third step down with the water freezing my legs and sun heating my back whilst I ate porridge and read the Sunday Mail - aaah the simple pleasures! Went back to bed and put the Skins on and read some more of the paper before I treated myself to half a custard tart from Carby's Bakehouse for morning tea. Not a small custard tart mind you - a family sized one! I earned it!


Km's this week - 53
Km's this month - 74
Km's this year - 736
Consecutive alcohol free days - 42

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Good to see you out there at BRRC this morn Matty. Did you find out where that dirty stop-out Langy was?

Not sure about the indestructable thing, though its something I plan to be for the next 12 months at least.