Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sunday - BRRC 10 Mile Championship

120 mins, 25k's @ 4:41 mins/km

Arrived at West End late yet again! Its all Clairie's fault - she started the 5k a few minutes late last fortnight so I was expecting similar leeway. It didn't happen. I had promised to pace Tesso and Clairie if they needed it but without having the chance to talk to them, I would have to catch up and find out. With the field two minutes ahead of me, I set off for the chase. Thankfully, I was feeling good and was able to throw in a few comfortable early k's in the 4:30 range before catching up to the girls at the 9k mark. Both girls had decided not to race the event so I just cruised around with them for the duration before grabbing a banana and cordial from the breakfast table and heading out again.

After a 4k loop, Langy and Glenda came running by so I ran with them for 3k's before turning around to head back to head back to my car and a very interesting situation. Running over the Victoria Bridge, I observed a City Cat and City Ferry executing slow turns in the middle of the river and thought 'That's strange'. I then saw an object in the water opposite the State Library and speculated it was a dead body or dolphin. A closer look at the river beneath me revealed another object - an aboriginal bloke sidestroking in the middle of the river!! Further down the river was his mate. Two hysterical girls on the other side of the bridge came rushing over and I asked them if the blokes could swim and they responded in the affirmative but added 'They've been drinking and the currents got them.' I said I would do what I could and sprinted across the bridge and down the ramp too the boardwalk as the bloke closest to me continued his painstaking sidestroke towards the bank. I was looking around and I was the only person around and was thinking 'shiiiiiit - I've just run 23k - I hope I don't have to rescue these blokes!!' Not to mention the fact that I came second last for three consecutive years in the 25m freestyle at De La Salle ahead of only the fattest kid in the school! I was just as likely to need rescuing myself as I was to rescue these blokes! Fortunately, the current was taking the bloke closest to me towards a private pontoon so I hailed another runner for help and we climbed over the security partition onto the pontoon and pulled the bloke out of the water whilst his mate reached the bank 100m upstream. So that was a very interesting finish to my run and I pulled up well afterward.

No comments: