Tuesday, February 27, 2007

1k/500/1k/500/1k/1k with 45 SR - 3:35, 1:50, 3:50, 1:56, 4:05, 4:06

What a fucking disastrous morning.............so many things went wrong.

Firstly, I woke up starving and not even the bowl of porridge, slice of bread with peanut butter, Up N Go, GU and handful of lollies I had before training could give me any energy in time for the session. I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I really need to eat right the day prior to a key session. I had a very good dinner of chicken stir fry with extra rice last night but a pitiful lunch consisting of a small bowl of left over Japanese stir fry with noodles and about six Saos with cheese. Time and time again, it has proven that I need to have a good lunch and a good dinner prior to speedwork sessions and yet I continue to drop the ball. To rectify this shortcoming, I'm going to draw up an eating plan for Monday's and Thursdays and stick it on my desk and in my bedroom and follow the bloody thing to the letter!!! I simply cannot afford to waste any more sessions like this.

I knew I was in trouble during the warm up and the stretching session and strides did not offer my any hope. If you thought the first rep of a 3:35k was bad enough, then look away now as it gets worse. I struggled to a 1:50 for the 500m and pretty much threw in the towel then, just wanting to get through the session without injury. That was wishful thinking, as on the third rep, my ITB on the left leg flared up again and niggled away for the rest of the session but wasn't so bad once I slowed down to 5:00's for the cooldown run back to the Ship Inn. I still only know the basics of treating and training through an ITB niggle and don't know if I should have just ignored the niggle and kept running fast had I been feeling well. I need to have a good talk with Bruno and Langy (who holds a PHD in ITB's). Tesso also just emailed me the following very practical advice 'Good luck with that ITB. Get it before it gets you!!! The mistake I made was ignoring mine when it first started to niggle.'

The only thing that could have made my morning worse would have been breaking the fence that I kicked in frustration after the session concluded and subsequently being fined for damaging council property. It was that bad a day.

3 comments:

Tesso said...

Sorry to hear you had such a crap session. Looking at those times its not that you were just a bit off, something sure wasn't right.

Hopefully you've nailed it with the eating thing. Ever thought about visiting a dietician?

By the way if I ate like that before training I wouldn't be able to fit in the car to drive there :-)

Samurai Running said...

Kicking fences is just a natural reaction for a "stallion." Hope things get back on track.

It is interesting that you have to be so fueled up in order to perform at your best. I'll also try to see if it makes a difference with me.

Doesn't Pat recommend a dietician on his web site? You/we should ask her some questions.

Clairie said...

Go to this website: www.patcarroll.com.au he is pretty good.

He has a great resource for nutrition - Kerith. She is a sports nutritionalist and did an eating program for me last year.

I just paid her $60 for her to design a program for my eating leading up to Canberra - including any races. It takes about 3-4 days to get back so hopefully will be here tomorrow.

Worth paying for - especially as this is an area where you need help.

I think you had TOO MUCH food in your gut - which would have been taking up your blood supply and not being able to properly get the max blood pumping to other more vital areas - like the legs, head and heart.