Monday, February 26, 2007

Its all good!!

Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ 5:10 mins/km
Sun - 140 mins, 28k's @ 5:00 mins/km


The news was all good on Thursday night when Bruno successfully massaged the tightness out of part of my ITB. I was never overly concerned as there was no tightness or discomfort in the vincity of the knee(which is the bad news), but nonetheless, its good to be able to run with one less niggle to be concerned about.

On Friday, I left my run till 5pm, to give the body as much time as possible to recover after the masssage. Did an easy session on the treadmill at the gym and then followed it up with a hard 10mins at maximum HR on the bike. No problems with the ITB.

It was a case of deja vu on Sunday when for the second time this year, I spurned a Sunday run with Langy and ended up running in a scorcher! I had only got seven hours sleep on Friday night after getting up early to watch the Broncos on Saturday morning. After another seven hours sleep on Saturday night, I woke up exhausted at 4:30am and decided that I needed an additional two hours sleep. With all the running, gym, work and play in my life, its pretty clear to me that I need at least eight hours sleep every second night and preferably on five or six nights a week. IT was overcast and raining at 4:30am and I thought 'Beauty - I'll have a nice cool run when I get up!' Yeah, right! By the time I started at 7am, the sun was breaking ominiously through the clouds. I started my longest run since the 2004 Gold Coast Marathon sluggishly with porridge and an Up n Go sitting uncomfortably in my stomach. Things were much better after my first GU and water stop at 7k's and I began to roll along comfortably towards Nudgee Beach. Reaching Nudgee Beach, I decided to do three loops of the wooden boardwalk to keep me out of the sun for a while before heading back. A second GU with 50 minutes to go ensured that I was able to finish the run clocking 4:50's for the last 5k's without pushing myself as the mercury climbed to 26.9 degrees and an apparent temperature of 29 degrees. I made sure I ticked all the right boxes with regards to hydration and nutrition for the rest of the day and pulled up well.

Looking forward to resuming twice a week speedwork for the first time in a long time this week.

1 comment:

Samurai Running said...

Hey Matty

Just checking in. Glad "it's all good." Roll on!