Monday, November 27, 2006

The Wild Colonial Boy

Thurs - 4k tempo in 16:30, 3k WU, 3k ED
Sat - 50 mins, 10k's @ 4:55 mins/km
Sun - 120 mins, 25k's @ 4:45 mins/km


Got up at 4:30 am on Thursday and was out the door at 5am for my earliest start to a run since I made my comeback. It was a good tempo session and then I was ready for the much anticipated first day of the 1st Ashes test!

I had an interesting day at the Gabba to say the least. I had secured 8 tickets and invited 7 mates along and we had a great day starting with a breakfast bbq and a few beers. We got there early enough to avoid the queues and we're having a great time watching the Aussies get on top. Plenty of good natured sledging and bantering going on. With an hour to go, a Pom in a red shirt was standing in front of me slowly going through his wallet and obscuring my view. I politely asked him to sit down and he clearly decided to antagonise me by pretending to fumble his way through his wallet and continue to obscure my view. I had a skinful in me by this stage and as such, was a little short on patience and again asked him to sit down - this time in a much harsher tone of voice. The Pom's mate got scared and ran for the usher who came over and managed to get the Pom to sit down and all was ok. In hindsight, security at that point pegged me as a 'volatile character'. Half an hour later with just five overs to go I gave some departing Poms a boisterous and sendoff , chortling "Don't forget to close the door on your way out, you Pommie losers!". That was it - two cops came up to me and said 'we're going to have to remove you from the premises!' I went quietely and was handed a 'move on' notice becoming one of 43 people ejected from the Gabba that day. It was definite overkill on the part of security to evict me as we've all seen far worse 'offences' at the cricket go unpunished. Of course, that's only one side to the story - no doubt the Poms saw it differently.
Ironically, things turned nasty after I was evicted. In the biased eyes of the large mob of Aussies sitting behind me, one of their own had been turfed for seemingly nothing and the Pom in the red shirt was still there. As such, the rowdier elements of the mob unleashed a torrent of verbal abuse on the Pom in the red shirt and soaked him with beer on the way out. Probably none of this would have happened if security had more sense. Still i didn't let it put a dampner on a fabulous day.

Although not hungover, I put off my normal Friday recovery run till Saturday because I got called into the office for four hours overtime on my day off so that threw my schedule out. When I finally got around to that recovery run late on Saturday afternoon, it went well.

With only two weeks to Kurrawa, I was conscious of putting in an honest effort for my Sunday long run along the Kedron Brook. My preparation was less than ideal as I was again stuck in the office catching up on work on Sunday arvo when I should have been eating a good lunch. Starting after 5pm and fuelled with a GU, I opened proceedings with a 4:39 first k and then settled down comfortably churning out 4:45 k's. I topped up with a GU half way through the run and continued to run strongly as darkness enveloped me. It was quite pleasant running out there in the dark far away from the distant lights of suburbia until I bonked with eight mins to go. I managed to survive the lack of energy and the shakes, enduring the last eight minutes telling myself to imagine it was the closing stages of a Marathon and I needed to close out the race.

Gees, it was good to get stuck into some tucker when I got home!!!

3 comments:

Tesso said...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Robert Song said...

Priceless. You'll be able to dine out on that story for the rest of your life.

Clairie said...

Matty what are we going to do with you.

I remember watching the news and talking with Allan about 'what sort of wankers would ruin a game by being idiots and firing up the Barmy army'......I should have realised.

Wouldnt have you any other way though... :)