Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sunday - BRRC 10k Hcp

BRRC 10k Hcp 39:49, 1k WU, 7k WD

Standing on the start line at West End for the 10k Hcp at 6am on Sunday was the oldest and slowest runner of the BRRC and........yours truly. Whilst club members had a staggered start for the 10k Hcp race based upon their times this year, I was among a handful of runners given a special dispensation to start at 6am and conduct a 10k time trial to help Gerard and Wayne go sub 40. Langy, Slash, Pete, Robbie and Coach Pat were also along to assist. I had taken the trouble to prepare well and knew that I was fit and in good shape. Despite having a very soft 38:22 10PB set in the 2004 Nike 10k, there was little doubt in my mind that I could comfortably dip under 40 mins whilst only running at 90% effort. And so it proved. The time trial started well enough with Gerard and Wayne on pace to the 4k mark but unfortunately, they began to leak time at this point. Whilst the rest of the boys tried to drag Gerard and Wayne back into contention I ran alone in front of the group churning out consistent 4 min k's while providing a target for the boys to chase. Regrettably, nobody caught up to me but on a personal note, I was very pleased to cruise across the line in 39:49. Its a good feeling knowing that I'm in pretty good shape at the moment and will only have to turn up to shatter my 10k PB. Now I just have to find a suitable race and no....it won't be the Noosa Tri.



Km's this week - 10
Km's this month - 98
Km's this year - 1204

No comments: