Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Qld 8000m Cross Country Champs, Yeronga

Tues 26 - 10K Time Trial - 40:20

After responding to an add on Cool Running, I was accepted for a QUT study on Sub 40 min 10k runners studying among other things - oxygen uptake, stride cadence, HR and other physiological assessments - more on that at the end of the study. Anyway, rocked up for my first session on Tuesday at Wilston, thinking I would cruise around in about 37 minutes finishing off strongly to make it a quality session that would strengthen me for the Doomben 10,000 but at the same time, not overtax me.

After a warmup it took over 20 minutes to get the gear on - oxygen mask, HR monitors, GPS on a cap, mobile phone in an arm pouch and a 1.5kg backpack with $50k worth of equipment!! With lecturer Andrew Townshend riding alongside in a moped, I took off running solidly over the first lap of a 2.5km course until I got to the hill leading up to Wilston Reservoir. Gees, no wonder this is mentioned only in passing to prospective subjects - it was a 45m climb over 550m equating to an 8-10% gradient and I had to do four of them!!! Got to the top and ran three laps around the summit before screaming downhill back to the start for a second lap. Running without a watch or any time updates, I ran solidly and guessed at the finish that I had ran 41 flat. Was happy with the relevation that I had down 40:20 and even happier with Andrew's assessment that the time equates to around four minutes faster in flat conditions.

Tues PM - 30 mins easy

Wed 27 - 90 mins, 20k's @ 4:17 mins/km, Last 4k in 15:47


Solid run with the boys - felt comfortable throughout and it was not until the last 2k that things got slightly taxing after 2k at sub 4 min pace.

Wed PM - 30 mins - surprisingly brisk

Thurs 28 - 50 mins, 10k's very easy


The hard efforts of the previous two mornings kicked in and I trudged along gingerly, battling DOMS.

Fri 29 - 40 mins, 8k's @ 5:10mins/km


Body still a wreck - just ambled along gently trying to rest up for Qld Champs the next day

Sat 30 - Qld 8000m XC Champs, 22nd in 28:44 - 6:57, 7:14, 7:19, 7:12


The plan was to go out at 7:20's for the first two 2k laps and then negative split coming home with two 7:15's for a 29:10. Tried to relax and let the field bolt ahead of me over the soft ground and hilly course. Thought I was running very controlled and relaxed and was shocked to see that I had gone through the first lap in 6:57. Threw the plan out the window there and just tried to stay in the zone, relaxed and comfortable. After the brutal hills on Tuesday morning, these hills seemed a doddle and I was cruising up them overtaking someone at each hill. Went past some quality opposition in Ronnie Peters and Don Wallace midrace and it was at that point that I knew I was running extremely well. Managed to stay in the zone for the rest of the race and hammer it home in the last 500m although in hindsight, I felt so strong, i really should have started hammering it from 1000 or 1500m out. Very pleased with my strength and form in this race in what was my best race of the year. I think the fitness from seven recent 160-170min Sunday long runs has really kicked in now!

Sun 31 - 170 mins, 36k's @ about 4:40 mins/km

Have learnt my lesson about trying to do this run on an empty stomach after a hard cross country race the previous afternoon - its just too difficult, unless you stay up to midnight eating!! Got up and had a small breakfast and GUs at the one and two hour mark. Ran comfortable and relaxed at about 4:40's most of the way throwing in a 10k stretch at 4:28's in the third hour.

Sun PM - 30 mins easy

118k's for the week - biggest week ever! Have now exceeded 100k's in seven of the last eight weeks.

1 comment:

Glenda said...

Sensational work Matt. If you don't smash out a great Doomben 10km, I will be very disappointed.