Thursday, June 11, 2009

Doomben 10,000



PHOTO FROM 5K MARK OF DOOMBEN 10,000


Doomben 10,000 - 15th out of 492 in 35:35 PB - 3:29, 3:34, 3:35, 3:34, 3:37, 3:34, 3:34, 3:35, 3:37, 3:22

After a less than impressive history in this race I was keen to do well and knew that I was in shape to run a massive PB. It was just a matter of executing on the day. Memories of 2007 when David Sweeney and I were infamously disqualified for running 7.5k out of the shortened 8.8k were banished along with last years debacle where I struggled home in 38:XX only to come down with a cold later that day. Not this year!!

Despite some big mileage in recent weeks, a brutal 10k time trial on Tuesday and no taper to speak off, the plan was to have a crack at sub 35 with a B goal of sub 35:40. The first k was critical to my plan - I had to run 3:30 spot on to set up a negative split race and not get sucked into a 3:15 or 3:20 start.

Fortunately, I was able to nail the opening k to perfection, letting teenage girls and primary school boys sprint ahead of me whilst i cruised to a 3:29:80 start - bewdy!! That's when the fun started as I reeled in seven or eight runners and worked my way into the race. Alas, whilst I felt very strong and was breathing easily, it soon became apparent that my legs weren't quite fresh enough for an assault on sub 35 and the first two (out of four in total) u-turns also caused my A goal to drift tantalisingly away.

Nevertheless, i was happy to reach 5k in 17:51 and on target for a massive PB and steeled myself for a negative split. I'm determined to regularly negative split my races from this point onwards - it was good enough for Deek so its good enough for me and it does suit my patient and calculating approach to racing. Its also how I do most of my training. Successive 3:34's followed as I concentrated hard on maintaining a smooth and efficient stride. Then a 3:35. The strain and fatigue were starting to take hold, but the B goal was looking good and despite the usual fatigue induced collapse of my IQ I calculated 7:05 for the last 2k was required. C'mon!!

Uh oh. Two u-turns in the ninth k and a 3:37 split saw the task get that little bit harder. I thought of the zillion 3KTT's I have done where I slugged home the last k in 3:15-3:18 and thought to myself "C'mon - you can do a low 3:20 and still nail this bastard!!" And nail it I did, enduring one of the most painful final k's I have experienced with a 3:22 and collapsing over the finish line spending a good two minutes on my hands and knees before I was able to get up, exhausted by elated after a 90 second PB. Bring on the Gold Coast!!!

4 comments:

mike said...

Great pacing Matty - update your 10k PB too.

I'm glad I resisted the temptation to overtake you in that 1st k. Would've been hard to live with your admonishment: "...letting teenage girls, [Mike R] and primary school boys sprint ahead of me whilst i cruised..."

glenda said...

Great work Matty you deserve the reward after your big miles. Smash em up at the GC

David said...

Matty ! Took your time posting a momentous PB but worth the wait!!
You need to reconsider your goals and update them. Sub 34m is what you should be going for. Onya

Superflake said...

Congratulations Matty. Hard work equals a great reward. Cheers mate.