Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Mooloolaba Tri 10k Run Leg





10k - 37:36 (10th out of 515) - 3:33,3:53,3:52,3:48,3:47,3:48,3:45,3:34,3:52,3:56

Northies got together at Mooloolaba on Sunday for our only Tri of the season. Neither RooBoy, nor Matt were fit so we just did it for fun. RooBoy opened proceedings with a 28:30 swim and 256th place and Matt was on the bike for around 72 minutes in 85th place. My plan was to go around in Half Marathon pace of 3:50's with a view to assisting my preparation for the Brisbane Half in 3 weeks time. I could have run a gutbuster and maybe jagged a small PB on the tough course in warm conditions but both Pat and I felt I'd get more out of a Half Marathon pace effort this time and save the fast 10k for the Victorian 10k Road Champs at Sandown on May 17th.

Mooloolaba was typically warm when I started my run at 9:15am but it was beautiful day and the cool seabreeze meant it wasn't as hard as previous years. I went out a tad too fast but settled into a comfortable pace afterwards. I felt good for a long way, was running in controlled fashion and was did not become fatigued until I crested Alexandra Hill for the third and final time. I was well under my goal of 38:20 at that stage so just cruised to the finish line to bring Northies home in 34th place in 2:17:45. Very pleased with the run and it was nice to crack the Top 10 running at less than top speed. Time will tell whether I can hold the pace for another 11k's on a flatter course in cooler conditions.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

Hey Matty, you need to update your PBs in your blog profile.

Great pics by the way.

David said...

Well done Matty!

Going to Melbourne for a race must be serious! I hear Sandown is a PB course, what time will you be happy with?