Tuesday, April 29, 2008

PCRG 3KTT

Fri - 60 mins - 12k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Easy recovery jog - ran into Langy half way through and finished off the run with him.

Sun AM - 130 mins - 26k's @ 5:10mins/km
Sun PM - 30 mins - k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Tues - 3KTT - 9:46 (3:11, 3:18, 3:16)


The plan this morning was to try and run even 3:12's and really work the second k to make up for time lost at the turnaround. I was fast asleep when Pat sent the large field on its way and lost maybe two metres at the start. As such, I probably wasn't as relaxed as I like to be in the first 300-400m. Matt C, Matt R and myself led the way early (the three Matt's!!!) Just nine days after I duelled with Matt C over the closing stages of the Brisbane Half, here we were going at it again!! There was quite a bit of jostle early on and Matt C and I bumped into each other on about five occasions as we went through the first k in 3:11. Following my plan of working the second k, I really pushed it here and was able to ease a few strides ahead in front. It was a cold morning and noticeably colder once we got to the exposed sections past the Boatshed - note to self (gloves and proper singlet next time instead of tri singlet!). Reached marshal Gaz at the halfway in 4:45 and lost the usual 2-3 seconds turning around. Continued working hard to the 2k mark and was bitterly disappointed to see a 3:18 split but calculated that I could still pull out a PB if I hammered out a 3:09 closing k. Fired up at this point and dropped Matt C for good, covering the next 500m in about 96 seconds with a PB still possible. Alas, I faded then, particularly up the slight incline next to the Hanson factory.

So, I've now built a rock solid base of sub 10's in the last six months as follows:
- Dec 9:48
- Jan 9:40 (PB)
- Feb 9:48
- Mar 9:43 (2nd fastest time)
- April 9:52
- April 9:46 (3rd fastest time)

But if I don't dip under that 9:40 PB soon, I'm going to get start getting a tad frustrated!! I don't plan to change my training - I'll just relax, look after my body and wait for the improvement to come to me.

2 comments:

Tesso said...

3rd fastest time ... can't whinge about that. Well, you could ;-)

Maybe you needed young Nic out there to stir you up.

Thanks for forcing me into doing push-ups. I was hoping to get away with skipping them this morn.

Superflake said...

With the lower winter humidity you should do it in May or June. Nice run though.