Saturday, December 09, 2006

Kurrawa to Duranbah - The Game Plan

Wed - 70 mins - 14k's in 4:40-5:00 range
Thurs - 2k's in 8:02, 3k WU, 3k WD
Fri - 15 mins - 3k's


Well, the Kurrawa to Duranbah 2 x 25k relay is less than 24 hours away and I have that nice tingle of antipation coursing through my veins as the clock ticks down. A month ago, this race was going to be a very hard run but i've been pleased with my progress since and I'm ready to well and truly flog myself for the first time since August last year. Slash has the first leg, then for the run from Duranbah north to Kurrawa, I will aim to run 3:55 mins/k's with the help of Chelle's Garmin 301 as there are only k markers every 5k's. Of course, if it is a scorcher by the time I start at around 6:45, then I may have to be a little more conservative.

Slash and I are hoping we can get a top five finish in the relays, but just as important will be beating our PCRG rivals, Jonesy and Glenda. On paper, Slash will have the edge over Jonesy in the first leg and with a 79 min Noosa Half under her belt, Glenda will have the edge over me in the return leg. But of course, that won't count for anything on the day and it will be interesting if Glenda and I end up in a head to head duel at some stage. Basically, I would expect Glenda to try and burn me off ASAP because she knows I am likely to outkick her in the last kilometre if it comes down to that. So if that eventuates, I'll just have to throw that plan for 3:55's out the window and hang on for dear life!!

The last few days have gone well. Wednesday was the first of what I hope will be a fortnightly run along the Brisbane River for myself and a handful of PCRG A-Teamers. Glenda, Slash and James M joined me for the inagurual run and we had a good hitout. Taperering shortened Thursday's run to 8k's of which just 2k's were at race pace and yesterday saw a light 15 minute run at 4pm just before a rub from Bruno.

I also started the AIS carbo load on Thursday morning and so far it is going well. This will be a critical test as it may be my only chance to experiment with this carbo load before my Gold Coast Marathon next year.

In the office now for a couple of hours and then MJ and I are driving down the coast and staying in a motel. With a 5am race start, there is no way I'm getting out of bed at 2:30am like last year!!!

So, I'm ready..... BRING IT ON.

No comments: