Wednesday, March 12, 2008

PCRG - 3KTT


Sun 2nd March 130 mins, 25k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Easy long run in cool conditions along the River by myself. After four years had my first sighting of Pat on the River in his Kayak. The showoff paddled powerfully across the River from the other side through the wake of a CityCat to pull alongside me for a chat.

Tues 3rd March - PCRG 3KTT - 9:43 (3:16, 3:17, 3:09)


Decided to experiment with new tactics for this one aiming for a negative split. Held myself back in the first k and let Nic go to the front to do all the work. I trailed Nic to the 1800 and was five metres behind at that stage. I then made my move, accelerating to position right behind Nic then attacking the hill behind the boatshed. I went past Nic and he was unable to respond to my surge as I pulled away quickly. I flew down the other side of the hill running like it was my last 200m. I was buggered with 600m to go but my competitive instincts did not want to relinquish the lead and I was also determined to make amends for Friday's disappointing 1k efforts. And so I did, crossing the line in 9:43 for my second fastest time ever. It was a very pleasing run and a stark reminder that battling through the pain barrier in the last k is so often a mental challenge. Experiences like that give you confidence to set sail for home early!

Wed 4 March - 90 mins, 19k's @ 4:33 mins/km

Green Bridge loop with Glenda and Andy - great run.

Thurs 5th March - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Fri 6th March - 6 x 2 mins, 30 JR

Tough session by myself at Limestone Park, Ipswich. Pleased that I was able to focus mentally and keep the pace honest.

Sun 9th March - 130 mins, 25k's @ about 5:10 mins/km
Good depletion run - saw Pat on kayak again

Tues 11th March - 15 mins hills/fartlek
A great initiative by Pat this morning putting motivational comments on little signs on the course eg 'Attack the hill', 'My legs are steel springs', 'I feel strong', 'I love hills', 'I hate Pat'. Worked hard with Nic throughout for a sensational session and the endorphins were well and truly flowing shortly afterwards when Pat took the above photo of me :)

Wed 12th March - 90 mins, 20k's @ 4:16 mins/km

A very brisk Green Bridge loop this morning with Aidan H joining us for the first time to ensure the pace was honest. The sheer bloody mindedness of Glenda as the Canberra Marathon looms also kept things ticking over. Great to have Pete and Beth along also

No comments: