Saturday, March 01, 2008

Brisbane Running Groups 3k Challenge



Above - Home stretch of BRG 3k Challenge


Due to a house renovation that has taken over my life, but not my training which has been going strongly because it comes before the reno. I've neglected the blog lately but lets get back into it.

Fri 22 - BRG 3k - 10:14 5th/200


This was run at 6pm on a course about 100-150m long in temps of 27.4 deg with a humidity of 70% = a relative temp of 30 degrees - lovely! Being flat strap all day labouring on the house and then being caught in traffic driving to the CBD, I didn't play the race over in my mind a few hundred times beforehand like I normally would. I felt ok right from the start and after 400m was running smoothly enough, tacked onto the back of the lead pack including Aidan Hobbs, David Sweeney and James Bayliss. At this point I thought 'hang on - these blokes are doing sub 3 min pace - better back of a tad or risk blowing up'. I eased off ever so slightly and found myself in 6th at the head of the chase pack. At the 1000, I was alone having worked ahead of the chase pack and was now steadily reeling in 5th place which I did at the 1500. By the 2k I was starting to become conscious of my body overheating in a big way and my form was starting to flag. Nevertheless, I battled away tring to run down fourth place James Bayliss but could only narrow down his 30m lead ever so slightly. Pretty happy to improve six places on my 11th position last year.

Sun - 120 mins, 24k's @ 5:03's

Tues - 6 x 1 min, 4 x 30 secs

Worked solidly

Wed - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10's
Tired

Thurs - 4 x 1k, 2x 500m, 45SR, 3:04, 3:10, 3:14, 3:30, blowout
On record pace averaging 3:09:33 for the first three reps and then blew up spectacularly. The legs were as dead as doornail and had nothing in them and I physically and mentally folded like a pack of cards. The times for the 500m efforts are too embarassing to list in this blog. No doubt, I'm still getting over last Friday's gutbusting race in the heat but am very disappointed that I didn't battle on stronger over the final stages - clearly it was my worse session in four months despite opening the proceedings with my fastest k ever. I can't wait to make amends.

Fri 40 mins, 8k's @ about 5:10 mins/km
Tired

No comments: