Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mixed feelings after 10k Season Opener

Easter Egg 10k - 37:05(PB)

Mixed feelings after last Friday's 10k in 37:05 - Yes it was a 49 sec PB on a course that was probably 100-200m long suggesting an adjusted time of around 36:30 but on training form I should have done better. I really botched the pacing early in the race going 3:36,3:48,3:34 and 3:44 to start the race. No other splits available due to incorrect km markers. I was a bit too over confident in my pacing ability when Pete H went past me at around 1500, I was thinking to myself - 'Gees - Pete's taking it out hard today' rather than 'Wake up - you're going too slow'. By the 4k, team-mates, Glenda and David J were well over 200m in front of me and I finally started working my way into the race picking up some of the fast starters and then working my way past Ian Kent and Matt Carrick. I then found myself in no man's land running alone with David J and female second place getter Roxie Schmidt about 150m in front of me. I ate a little bit into the deficit but didn't feel as strong as I would have liked to be and couldn't find another gear. The good thing was that my running economy felt smooth and controlled for much of the race and even when I was tiring and thought I was slowing down a lot, the final time indicates I didn't slow down much.

In hindsight, while my pacing at Time Trials and in training is good, it was the first time in nine months that I had done ANY running in the 3:30-3:40 range and I should have been more respectful of the challenge of getting the pacing right. I should have also paid more attention to some of my rivals in front of me who on form I should be beating and not let them get too far away from me.

Looking forward to the next 10k already.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

A good time anyway Matt, even if you are not happy with how you raced. You can see the improvements needed, so we all expect a low 36 time next 10k. Cheers.