Tuesday, October 30, 2007

PCRG - 3KTT

PCRG 3KTT - 9:55 (3:12,3:21, 3:21)

A brutal week of training preceded this mornings time trial. Last Tuesday, it was 8x 500m on 30 sec standing recoveries. I hope to beat my best average of 94:75 per rep which was set on 1 min recoveries and was on track for five reps before fading over the last three reps to average 96 seconds. Finished off that session with 1k in 3:36.

On Wednesday I did the Green Bridge loop with Andy C and gees, he was feeling good. We normally do the 18.4k's in about 86 minutes but Andy dragged me around in 78:48!!!! That's about 4:15-4:18 pace and it was pleasing to put in a solid marathon pace effort on an empty stomach.

Was very tired the next morning and eased my way through a 50 min tready session in 5:15's.

Friday, it was 2 x 3 min efforts from the Story Bridge to New Farm with a 6 min effort on the way back and two reps of Gold Coast Hill - worked solidly.

With Slash's 40th Birthday Party on Saturday night, I took the rare step of doing my long run on Sat AM. I figured an extra day to freshen up for the TT would be a bonus!! I started a little too late, particularly given I only had a small meal the night before and bonked the last 25 minutes, slowling to a shuffle. A very slow long run for me at about 5:15's but got some good fat burning benefits out of it.

This morning, despite my freshen up, I felt terrible. The legs were like jelly, my mouth was dry and I was having a few negative thoughts. I just told myself to get through the first 400m and take things from there. Got to 400m in about 4th place and felt terrible so I thought maybe if I upped the tempo, the muscle memory would kick in and I would feel better. I went to the lead at the 900 and went through 1k in 3:12. Didn't feel much better going through the second k in 3:21 but knew that I had a sub 10 in the bag at that point. I worked strongly up the hill behing the boatshed and then tried to find another gear, but it wasn't there. Nic went past me at the 2300m but I managed to keep plugging away for another 3:21 and a 9:55 - my second fastest time ever. I am stoked - we can't feel good on every run and I'm very pleased that I was able to hang in there and get the best out of myself on a day when I wasn't at my peak. I would like to consistently run sub 10 at my time trials from now on and to run 9:55 when not being 100% is very pleasing and gives me confidence that I will be able to run sub 10's regularly from here on giving myself a platform to improve further over time.

1 comment:

Tesso said...

Congrats on the nice shiny new PB Matty. Wow, you really have hit a sweet spot in your running. Its so good to see, if there's anyone who deserves it its you :-)