Monday, October 22, 2007

2nd career victory

Tues - 2/1/2mins x 3

It was a long time coming but my habit of arriving just in time for speedwork finally bit me on the arse when I was three minutes late for this session. Didn't feel that great going straight into the session after a 20min warm up without even a breather but worked ok.

Wed - 90mins, 18k's @ 4:58mins km

Thurs - 30 mins, 6k's @ 5:10 mins/km

Fri - 4 x 2min with 30 JR, 30SR then 30 secs on/off back to start

Top session - didn't have anyone to chase on the outbound leg but was fairly strong mentally and able to keep the foot to the floor.

Sun - BRRC 5k - 1st in 17:48 - 3:41, 3:34, 3:34, 3:34, 3:26

After a 10 min warm up, I lined up in a small field hoping to improve further on my recent 17:26PB. There were no rabbits bolting to an early lead and I found myself in front after a few hundred metres. I relaxed and concentrated on finding my rhythm and not going too fast. Alas, I was a little too relaxed and recorded a slow 3:41 opening split. I tried to up the pace a little, but the legs felt tired from Friday's hard session and massage and I was a little dehydrated. Nevertheless, I had opened up a comfortable lead and MJ had taken the trouble to get out of bed early to come down and watch me so there was no way I could slacken off!! I ran solidly with three consecutive 3:34 splits and dug deep to up the tempo in the last k finishing off the proceedings with a 3:26. Contrary to the photo link here (100m from finish line) courtesy of Phil Wain at pbphotographics.com.au I'm not usually such a grumblebum ;-)

http://www.pbphotographics.com.au/BRRC_2007/Pages/21_10_2007.html#34

Am quite satisfied to chalk up another 'W' and run my third fastest time ever despite not feeling on top of my game. Gees, its gonna be fun to do 5000m on the track in the future, tapered and wearing racing flats!!

3 comments:

Samurai Running said...

When you do hit the track just beware of the lure of Steriods Matty! ;)

Tesso said...

Hey, I got out of bed to watch you too ... from my deck :-) I noticed you were in front at the 1k mark, though the second guy was hot on your heels. Great to see you hung on for victory.

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the win Matt. Good to run bad and still win.