Saturday, October 06, 2007

Finally - a 3K TT PB!!

Its half time of the World Cup quarter final between the Wallabies and those stinking poms and my first chance to update the blog on what has been a crazy week!!

Fri - 2 x 2k 6:48 and 6:53

A solid session - pleasing to clock good times with the legs still a little fatigued

Sat - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Sun - 120 mins, 24k's @ about 5:00 mins/km

Tues - 3k TT - 9:48 PB - 3:16, 3:22, 3:09

Fronted up for the TT confident that I had a massive chance of breaking my PB set on a much easier course on Melbourne Cup Day in 2004. As is the norm for me in time trials these days, I went through the first 400m or so in third gear at about 3:25 pace and felt very comfortable. But by this point Matt C was almost 30m clear of me in the lead and I picked up the pace to move into 2nd. The first k passed in 3:16 and then the usual mental battle to maintain the pace in the second k began. I was able to remain strong, especially through the turnaround and went through the second k in 3:22 with Matt now just 2om in front of me. It was a gusty effort from Matt as he had run 2:53 in the Sydney Marathon nine days prior and I knew he must be hurting bad by now and I was a good chance of running him down. I floored it at this point and really attacked the hill behind the boatshed followed by the subsequent downhill. I reeled in the 20m to Matt in about 300m and went straight past him. Matt tried to go with me for about 100m but I kept the foot firmly down and reached the 500m split in just 92 seconds. 'Gees' I thought 'It'd be a shame to waste this split by slowing down over the last 500m'. I felt a million dollars over the next few hundred metres running smoothly and powerfully - it was a sensational feeling!!! Only in the last 150m did my form begin to flag from fatigue but I had enough momentum to cross the line in 9:48 after recording my fastest kilometre ever in the last k - faster than I'd ever gone in 4 x 1k efforts! Naturally I was on a massive high after that - you can't beat the feeling!

Wed - 90 mins, 18k's @ 5:03 mins/km

Thurs - 50mins, 10k's @ 5:15 mins/km on tready

Fri - 2min/1min/30 secs with 30JR x 3 - worked strongly throughout

No comments: