Monday, March 26, 2007

Sunday setback

Fri - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:00 mins/km
Sun - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Headed up to Mooloolaba on Friday afternoon, by myself unfortunately as MJ was away with work. Covered the Twilight 5k race for R4YL and then did an easy 50 mins along the beach path from my unit at Alexandra Heads into Mooloolaba before turning around and running up to Maroochydoore.

Sunday morning was a significant setback. With a 2hr 40 min run scheduled, I set off from the Ship Inn at 5:45am before running into Pete, Jonesy and Mel. I decided to join them for a little while and after 10 minutes was struggling to keep up, eventually losing sight of them at the Story Bridge. I slowly ran back to the car and took a five minute break and tried to refuel but to no avail. It took an enormous effort for me to run at 5:30 pace and I was clearly coming down with a cold so I pulled the plug. Running at 5:30 pace for another 110 minutes at close to max HR is a sure fire way to wipe myself out for a week.

I went to work and could feel my condition deteriorating on an hourly basis as the cold took hold. Fortunately, its the type of cold that has completely stripped my body of energy with my muscles achey and my joints creaky. There is no sore throat, runny nose or respiratory issues, so hopefully I'll get over this quickly with the help of extra vitamins, plenty of water and a dairy free diet over the next 24 hours.

No comments: