Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Gold Coast Marathon

Gold Coast Marathon - DNS

Unfortunately, as most know I picked up a cold late on Saturday and was gonski come Sunday morning with a 5:45am jog around the block confirming my worst fears - that the cold was a full blown one that had spread throughout my body and left me with weak muscles and achey joints. The previous day I had a headache all day and that night I had taken three hours to get to sleep as my body became feverish with a yo-yo temperature and I was too hot under the bedsheets and too cold out of them. The worst part was running in to Cluffy and Jason late on Saturday when my body was starting to succumb to the cold and having to stay positive and try and make out that all was going well as there was still hope at that stage. After cheering on the great PCRG performances from outside my accommodation I went straight home and ended up sleeping most of Sunday arvo.

Doubtless, some would have pressed ahead and run anyway but a gutsy, heroic 3:10, 3:20 or worse against insurmountable odds is not my goal. Besides, I've been there, done that!

1 comment:

Samurai Running said...

You never have to make excuses to anyone for what you do or don't do Matty!

Well maybe to your lovely wife but that is all.

Congratulations!!!