Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reporting from Melbourne!

Tues - 15 minutes hills/fartlek

Although normal service appeared to have resumed and I was bowling along at the head of the pack, things didn't feel quite right. My left leg seemed to be climbing too high in its action and my stride and cadence were not as smooth and synchronized as I would like them to be. Other than that it was a fair session with the highlight being a challenge from Matt L when we kept repeating the hill in the last three minutes. The two of us hammered it hard for a good way and I was able to find some more speed when I didn't think I had any left.

Wed - 50 mins, 10k's @ about 5:10 mins/km

Easy toddle by myself

Thurs - 12 x 30 secs on/off

There was no time to go to PCRG this morning. I was up at 5 and off to the Kedron Brook for a solo session. It was quite liberating running in the dark away from the bright lights of suburbia. As is the norm for the final speedwork session before a race, I concentrated on moving smoothly at a respectable pace - probably around 3:25-3:30 pace only hitting top speed on a few occasions.

Then it was off to Bruno for a rub at 7am and then into a cab at 8:25 and off to the airport. The cabbie was kind enough to show us a handy new shortcut to the airport and we beat the worst of the traffic. Bumped into fellow PCRG runner, Jason H who was on a business trip to Sydney and discussed his recent 2:59 Boston Marathon effort. Its been quite a few years since i last flew interstate, but I had the Skins on and drank plenty of water and only got a slight headache which didn't last long. Upon arrival, MJ dragged me to the nearest Krispy Kreme outlet and we picked up a few donuts before heading into St Kilda Beach where my brother Benno has a unit. Am now settled in and looking forward to relaxing and doing a few touristy things over the next few days.

1 comment:

David said...

Good Luck Matty
I'm confident that you'll pull a big PB out of the bag. Give it everything.