Thursday, May 07, 2009

First PB for 2009!

Tues - PCRG 3KTT - 9:34 (PB) 3:07, 3:15, 3:11

I was thinking about this TT as far back as Thursday when I started pysching myself up to run hard at 4 x 1k efforts on Friday morning. When I averaged 3:12:7 for the first three reps, I knew my foot was on the till for a PB on Tuesday. I got through the Sunday long run in good nick and pulled up well and I felt like my body had really absorbed a few weeks of doing nine sessions per week.

Upon arrival, I was disappointed that neither Jase nor Andy had turned up as they would have helped push the pace. As it was, there was a newbie, Hayden who turned up and stuck with me for my usual controlled 400m to start the TT. I then put the foot down and went up a gear and was surprised to see that Hayden was still with me and from a glance across at him, doing it very easily too!! Approaching the boatshed, I accelerated again but couldn't shake him. Went through 1k on track in 3:07 and then concentrated on staying relaxed whilst maintaining the speed over the middle stages. Got to 1500m half a step ahead of Hayden and then watched as he surged and put 10m on me in a matter of seconds. This turned out to be good for me as I now had a target and I forced myself to stay within 10-15m of Hayden.

Went through 2k in 6:23, starting to hurt and thought to myself "you've done all the hard work to this point - don't throw it away by coming home in 3:20!!" I flew down the hill on the other side of the boatshed and really hammered it to the Hanson site, ignoring the lactic acid buildup. Faltered ever so slightly up the tiny incline opposite the Hanson site before picking it up again and boy was I elated when I stopped my watch at 9:34. Naturally, less than a minute later I was already thinking about beating Nicko's PCRG record of 9:17.

Tues PM - 30 mins easy

Wed AM - 90 mins, 20k's @ 4:27mins/km

Solid run with the gang working home the last 4k's at 4:07 pace.

Wed PM - 30 mins easy

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Congratulations Matt. Sub 9:30 next month.