Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A pleasant surprise

Sun AM - 120 mins, 24ks @ about 4:50 mins/km

Solid long run with Pete, Wayne and Mike H covering the Green Bridge loop and then finishing the last half hour by myself.

Sun PM - 30 mins

Slow trot around Wavell Heights with MJ. Tallied up 65ks with six runs in four days after getting over the stomach virus.

Tues AM - 2 mins, 30JR, 1min, 30JR, 2mins, 60SR. Repeat. 30 second efforts, one hill.

Showed my face at PCRG for only the second time in five and a half weeks! Had done some glute firing exercises and strides on the street in front of my house at 9pm last night so was quietly confident I had my mojo back. Started out a little conservatively but after five minutes I felt great and then cut loose, finishing level with Andy at the halfway mark. Finished strongly and kept the momentum going through the 30 second efforts and then was sold a dummy by Glenda who told me we had to finish with a hill rep. I smashed myself up the grass hill, pleased that I was well clear of everyone else only to turn around and find that the session had ended and I was alone on top of the hill. Oh, well - a little extra work never hurt anyone. Pleasantly surprised with how I went today - I knew I still had my fitness, but thought I might have lost a few yards of pace but I have lost very little speed over the last five weeks. Next Tuesday's time trial will tell me a lot more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt, I ran halfway up the hill.Good to have you back.