Tuesday, December 04, 2007

PCRG 3KTT

Gees, time is going quickly as it doesn't seem that long since I updated. For the first time in four years, I skipped my Sunday long runs in the previous fortnight thanks to my good mate RooBoy's Buck's weekend followed by his wedding the following weekend at which I was a groomsman and MJ a bridesmaid. Those two weekends were the first weekends in four years when I have not done a long run or race for a reason other than injury, illness or recovery from surgery. Both events were sensational and it wasn't just the alcohol that did me in. A combination of go carting, the bungee bullet, tennis and ten pin bowling during the buck's weekend saw me throw my hips out. The resulting imbalance then lead to a tight left hamstring which fortunately was well treated by Bruno and then Shane. Fortunately, I was back on track this week.

Tues - 2/1/2 with 30JR. 30SR. Repeat. 30secs on/off for 3:30.
Was absolutely flying at this session in my first run after Bruno's massage and also fresh from two and a half days without a run.

Wed - 90mins, 18k's @ 5:02's
Easy run with the left hammy tight again.

Thurs - 4 x 1k with 60 SR. 3:19, 3:19, 3:33, 3:20.

Ran within myself whilst wearing the long skins as the left hammy is still tight.

Fri - 50mins, 10k's @ 5:02's

Sun - 120mins, 24k's @ about 5:10's

Tues - PCRG 3KTT 3:14, 3:17, 3:16 - 9:48 EQUAL PB

The left hammy finally came good over the last couple of days and there were not going to be any excuses at this mornings TT. I turned up wanting to run sub 10 - I am determined that I'm going to run sub 10 every time I step out for a TT now and establish a platform there so that when a good day comes along, I can run sub 9:40. After my usual conservative 400m opening, I ramped up the pace, Nic D joined me and we moved clear of the field. Went through 1k two seconds slower than the 3:12 I was hoping for and instead of continuing onto the footpath we rejoined Riverside Drive - it was nice to be running on the wide open bitumen here and Nic and I running side by side kept pushing each other, keeping the pace honest. The 1000-1500m section passed in about 95 seconds so the new course may have been a tad short there. Nic was running fantastically and starting to pull away from me but every time he got 2-3m ahead, i managed to bridge the gap back to him. Nic finally got away for good around the 2500m mark and my legs just weren't fresh enough to go with him. Still - after my fastest ever 2k split, I knew that I was going to run close to a PB so I concentrated hard on holding my form and managed to hammer it over the last 50m to equal my PB with a 9:48. Am very happy to clock that time given that I've missed two of my last three long runs and have drunk enough over the last fortnight to sink a battleship. My brother Adam who has joined the group for a hitout each Tuesday ran a sensational 10:17 debut - there could be some fun sibling rivalry down the track if he were to get serious and improve further.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Equal PB! Excellent run Matt.

Tesso said...

Great result Matty! I sure was a fantastic site watching you and Nic leading the field as you flew back in the other direction.

mike said...

Nice one Matty. Yeah, Adam looks like he has the potential to leave us all in his wake...