Thursday, September 20, 2007

XXXX powered 5k race

Sun - River Run 5k, 8th out of 250, 17:49

After sinking something in the vincity of 15 beers at the Big Fella's engagement party on Friday night, I lined up in the River Run on Sunday morning looking for a solid hitout - call it a 5k Time Trial if you like. I wanted to do 3:33 pace and perhaps slip under my 17:45 PB if it all came together. I settled into about 12th place early where I stayed till the 2k, just running nice and controlled. As the rabbits started to come back to me I remained strong and moved into eighth place by 4k and just worked home steadily from there. The run felt like a low 18 minute effort so the course may have been a tad short.

Tues - 5 x 1min, 10 x 30 sec with 30 JR

Really asked some questions of myself at this morning session and answered them convincingly. I was no more than 1o metres from Andy C in the lead for the whole session and it was clearly my best session in a month. Absolutely flogged myself on the two sprints around the carpark clocking 35 and then 36 seconds.

Wed - 90 mins, 18.4 k's @ about 4:56 mins/km

Yesterday's gutbuster coupled with an hour spent wielding a sledgehammer to smash up concrete at my place left me sore and sorry for the mid week run. Doing the Green Bridge loop with Mike and Tenzing, I battled my way through the run which was done at a significantly slower than usual pace with Mike dragging me along all the way. I could not possibly have gone any faster. I was so sore and tired that whilst in Ipswich later that morning, I had a 20 minute nap in the car at 9am!

Thurs - 2 x 3 min, 1 x 6 min, 2 x Gold Coast Hill

Spent as much time as possible wearing the Skins yesterday as well as doing an extra cold water wading recovery to give me every chance to back up for today's session. I started off well, struggled a little on the Riverwalk but worked home strongly over the last two minutes and put the finishing touches on with strong efforts up Gold Coast Hill. The legs were still somewhat sore, but I got the most out of what I had this morning.

No comments: